Anglican Devotional 13 December 2020: Humility And Faithfulness – Indispensable Virtues”
The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 13 December 2020: Humility And Faithfulness – Indispensable Virtues”
Click HERE to Read Previous MESSAGES
Topic: Humility And Faithfulness – Indispensable Virtues”
Read: 1 Corinthians 4:1-5 (NKJV)
- Let a man so consider us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.
- Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful.
- But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.
- For I know nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord.
- Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one’s praise will come from God.
In today’s reading, Paul urged the Corinthian Christians to think of him and other Christian leaders as mere servants of Christ who were entrusted with the mysteries of God. This virtue of humility is lacking in the Church and society today where workers in the Church want people to see them as great men and women of God. They want people to blow trumpets for them and praise them in the open. Many of them boast that it was only through their prayers that Mr. A or B was healed, helped or delivered. They want to be seen as semi-gods and thus encourage people to mention their names in testimonies they give in the Church. Some of God’s workers even claim ministerial and academic titles they never earned.
The next virtue mentioned in verse 2 is faithfulness. Many Christians are not faithful in their places of work: They are habitual late comers; some embezzle official funds while some others cheat their business partners, masters and colleagues. More still, some married people cheat on their spouses. As a Christian, if you do not possess the virtue of faithfulness, you will miss the kingdom of God. No wonder we are enjoined in Revelations 2:10b to be faithful unto death and God will give us the crown of life.
PRAYER: My gracious God and King, please help me to be humble and faithful at all times.